[Dixielandjazz] trumpet player's education

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Fri Nov 14 03:51:46 PST 2003

Thanks, Mike, for the advice.  As a harmony singer of almost 30 years
duration, it was pretty tough for me to stick with the melody when I first
began to play DL.  I'm better at it now - embellish a bit, but always have
the melody there when the ensemble is playing.  And I try to remember that
Ruby Braff said he always had the melody - and the words - "running in
background" when he was soloing.

Bill Biffle