[Dixielandjazz] Thread: "Doctor" bands

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Nov 12 09:07:28 PST 2003

My late jazz pianist friend Jim Cerda was in a band at the Medical School at
the University of Florida, Gainesville.  They called themselves "The Docs of
Dixieland."  Cerda reported that they would occasionally get a "ringer"
musician, usually somehow medically connected, if they couldn't get a real
medico.  Presumably that group is still performing occasionally. When Cerda
would come to Pensacola for a medical lecture, we'd always get him a gig,
too, since he could do his medical stuff every day.

Cerda played for the Pensacola JazzFest one year with his regular Pensacola
group of musician friends.  He was trained as a classical musician as well.
When his local church in Gainesville, FL would do a fundraiser, he'd brush
up on his classical repertoire and give a benefit concert.

Also, as far as I know, every state in the U. S. which has "vanity"
automobile tags has a "Doctor Jazz" plate.
Reference:  Joe Oliver's 1926 tune, "Doctor Jazz."

Norman Vickers
Pensacola

>To: luda at arnet.com.ar, AAngusallan at aol.com, dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
>Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Buon Giorno, Ezio.

>There was (is?) a band composed of doctors in Himeji, Japan, called
>themselves the King Cresol Jazz Band (I believe this is a pun on King
Creole, Cresol being an antiseptic). And the  Barfota Jazzmen of Sweden have
a medical claim too - their leader/cornettist Cleas Ringqvist is a doctor
and works at the Bunk Johnson Memorial Hospital (yes, really) - in Uppsala,
I think. Any other all-doctor bands? Of course, we used to have Doctor
Sausage & His Five Pork Chops in New York in the 40's, but I somehow doubt
the good doctor's medical credentials.....

Mike D.