[Dixielandjazz] Roy Williams

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 03:41:14 PST 2003

I think it can be fairly said that in jazz terms Roy Williams is one of
Britain's National Treasures and is now playing better than ever. I have heard him
twice in the past four months, firstly at a concert in Edinburgh where he was
playing with Scott Hamilton, Howard Alden and John Bunch etc. and secondly
when he did a gig for me here in Norwich with tenorist Danny Moss and there are
very few players who can touch him in the general mainstream jazz style. There
are quite a number of CDs around which feature his playing both back in the
days of the Alex Welsh band and much more recently. I have just listened to a
super version of "All The Things You Are" which is a solo feature for him on a
newly released album on the Nagel Heyer label.

If anyone would like to hear him live all you have to do is make a trip to
this side of the pond next year and come to the Blackpool Jazz Party (1st to 3rd
May) where he will be playing trombone duets with Dan Barrett as well as
playing with Joe Wilder, Randy Sandke, Harry Allen, Antti Sarpilla, Bucky
Pizzarelli and a number of other top flight musicians from both sides of the Atlantic.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.