[Dixielandjazz] Re: Full Moon Phenomena

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 9 17:18:15 PST 2003

> Robert S. Ringwald <ringwald at calweb.com> wrote: (polite snip)
>
> The people seem to be much more inhibited during the full moon cycle.

Bob probably meant uninhibited.

> I have talked to many professional bartenders who agree.
>
> I am wondering if other musicians or people who deal with the public around
> liquor, have also noticed this full moon syndrome?

I never noticed it, though we joke about it often

> Also, if any physiologists on the List have an explanation for this fananon? (sic)
> (phenomenon?)

List mates:

There are many studies about the supposed link between the full moon and erratic
behavior by all creatures great and small.

One from England claims that there are more animal bites to humans when the moon is
full. Another in Australia says that animal bites to humans are in the same ratio
whether the moon is full or not.

And so on.

A google search of "Full Moon Effects" will no doubt reveal a wealth of conflicting
data. Generally, however it seems that information claiming an uptick in the bizarre
during full moon cycles has little, if any supporting statistical backup. On the
other hand, informtion claiming no real difference, seems to have reams of
statistical backup.

IMO, it is not the phases of moon. It is the booze that loosens inhibitions, along
with the atmosphere created by the ambiance of where the activity takes place that
contributes. Booze and environment will do it every time.

So play the music where the booze is served, and create the proper environment for
whatever it is you seek to achieve. ;-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone