[Dixielandjazz] The Individual Voice in Music

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sat Nov 8 14:18:23 PST 2003

Tom;

As a long-time jazz and classical (what a terrible name) music fan, I
disagree with your contention that we should "throw the symphonies out." I
found as I grow older that many symphonies and other classical compositions
offer a world of improvisation which many jazz players have studied to
improve their own playing as well as the pure enjoyment of the music.

When I compare the personal longevity of jazz recordings in my collection
and the symphonies, I find that I enjoy symphonies for longer period of
time. Of course, I realize the essential differences between the two - a
symphonic composer has the time to invest in perfecting his/her compositions
while the jazz performer is composing in an instant of time.

For instance, when we compare recordings of the same tune by the same artist
such as the many versions of "Liza" by Teddy Wilson, we can hear how he's
constantly improving on the quality of his improvisation - essentially the
same process as used by the classical composers except that much of Wilson's
improvisation is done at the spur of the moment. Yet, there is an distinct
improvement.

Listen also to the progression of "Sing, Sing, Sing" recordings with Benny
Goodman from the first air checks with Helen Ward's vocal to the July 6,
1937 studio recordings (all 3 takes) to the Carnegie Hall recording on
January 16, 1938 and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

But to throw out the symphony - NO!! What has to be done is to provide good
education of young people so that they grow to appreciate the joys of
quality music regardless of form. This is a difficult task but if we want to
keep music as a viable art form (meaning able to support itself), we must
accomplish this task.

Excuse the rant;

Stan
Stan Brager