[Dixielandjazz] The Individual Voice in Music

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 13:07:28 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/8/03 6:46:01 AM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

Polite snip from:November 7, 2003 - New York Times

REVERBERATIONS
Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up: Prizing a Personal Voice Even if It Hurts

By JOHN ROCKWELL

"The Individual Voice in Music"
> Maybe that's what a social scientist must do, but not critics. I trust
> my own subjective taste. Probably neither Ms. Grimaud nor Mr. Cascioli
> would rank in the Top 10 consensus of the great pianists of today. But a
> consensus is like a prize awarded by an uneasy consortium of critics:
> quirky brilliance, in Mr. Dyer's terms, is weeded out in favor of a film
> or a recording that everyone can feel comfortable with.

Oh but "What a Wonderful World" it would be if all music sounded and was
performed exactly the same every time, to please mostly anal retentive self
appointed critics, and those who like to go to the symphony halls to sleep.

I say throw the symphonies out and bring in some Jazz or at least have the
symphony play some Jazz, then perhaps both genres would sell more seats and we
could put the halls on a self supporting system.  Seems to me that it has
worked when major Jazz Singers have appeared with symphonies in the past, seems
like someone would have been paying attention to the biggest sellouts of their
venues.

> So more power to Ms. Grimaud and Mr. Cascioli, even if he isn't my
> pianistic cup of tea. Better a personal voice than an earnest student of
> convention. And if you make some people mad, and you will, all the
> better

Everything written prior to this statement in the critique could have simply
been omitted, albeit this is more than likely the nicest thing this guy has
ever said about any performer that he did not like.  If you can't say anything
good about someone, Shut the Hell up and just don't say anything at all.  Who
the Hell asked YOU anyway.

 Somebody else just might like them, and the artist has no doubt worked hard
to attract an audience, it is certainly not the critics job to drive them away
or worse yet write his personal tripe in the newspaper to dissuade others
from ever coming to see a live performer.

Cheers,

Venting my undying love for Critics, again.   But then again who asked for my
opinion?  :)

Tom Wiggins