[Dixielandjazz] Saint james Infirmary

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 01:57:07 PST 2003

Hi Mike and all,

Gadzooks . . . we're looking for logic and order in the artform.

>Let her go, let her go, God bless her,
>Wherever she may be
>She may search this wide world over,
>But she'll never find a sweet man like me.
>
>How can a dead woman go searching anywhere? Well, Little T (at 15) must
>have shared my concern, cos he sings:
>
>Let her go, let her go, God bless her,
>Wherever she may be
>She could have searched this wide world over
>She would never have found a sweet man like me.

Somehow the amended version seems virtually like a grammar lesson. You have
decided to use the hypothetical conditional form which is pretty elegant.
But it don't sound properly "bluesy" to me in that form.

By the way, I like to sing it thusly:

"She may search this wide world all over
(double time in the rhythm section here) Lord she'll never find another
sweet man (back to original beat) like me" . . . it adds a bit of sauciness
to an otherwise straight blues feel.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Down at St. Jame Infirmary" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com