[Dixielandjazz] Pineapple chord

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Mon Nov 3 15:54:17 PST 2003

I'm beginning to take your self-deprecating tag line seriously, Bill, as I
don't see a Db in your progression at all.  In my experience this is a
"color' chord that leads either to V or to I  (F/Db7/F or F/Db7/C7/I)  It's
also a frequent substitute for a IVm6, with which it shares some common
tones (IVM6 in f is Bb,Db, F,G and bVI7 is Db,F,Ab, Cb)  In the lyrics of
the first line of "Girl Of My Dreams", "Girl of my dreams, I love you,
honest I Do"  - "do" is either a IV6 chord or a bVI7, the latter being
richer and more exotic - like a pineapple  :-)}.

Bill Biffle