[Dixielandjazz] The Raeburns

fred spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sat May 31 11:02:46 PDT 2003

  Dear All,
The discussion of Boyd Raeburn allows me to correct an error I made.
This became evident in the course of  a series of emails with Bruce Boyd
Raeburn, the Curator of the Hogan Jazz Archive--"Also regarding the
death of my father, Boyd Raeburn, his death was the result of of a
second automobile accident in 1965, not the 1963 accident as given in
your book [Jazz and Death, Medical Profiles of Jazz Greats] on page 286,
note 8, and in various contemporaneous obituaries", which is where I
obtained my information, in "Variety" and elsewhere. I am delighted to
have this opportunity to correct my, and the media's, mistake. Ginny
Powell, Boyd Raeburn's wife, sang with his band. She was a particularly
attractive woman, even by the standard of the big band singers, which is
shown in her picture on page 38 of George Simon's "The Big Bands". Regards.
Fred