[Dixielandjazz] Modern art and jazz

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Fri May 30 12:40:14 PDT 2003

on 5/30/03 12:05 AM, Rob McCallum at rakmccallum at hotmail.com wrote:

> he read Howl in honor of the Dalai Lama coming to visit.

Rob, you are a treasure!

    Obviously very intelligent, good scholar, the kind of guy I'd love to
hire if I were chair of the department (heaven forbid!).  But you err in
suspecting my horror.  Nay, I would instead roll my eyes and intake a long
deep breath: the Dalai Lama?  I love him.  I would play "Hello, Dalai" for
him anytime he might appear.

    Allen Ginsberg is a whole nother proposition.

    Since I discovered that he was the model for Tertan in "Of This Time, Of
That Place," my opinion of Lionel Trilling has shrunken accordingly.  You
see, I actually read "Howl."  God forgive me, but I did.  I read all the way
through the damn thing.  How anyone who has read all of English poetry from
Beowulf to Virginia Wolf--as, I assure you, I have--could take seriously any
portion of that idiocy--well, let's say gently, is not clear to me.

    If you want him, you can have him.

Charlie