[Dixielandjazz] Dadaism and early jazz "The Big Picture in aNutshell"

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Thu May 29 19:22:24 PDT 2003

Hi David (and list),

Is this what you're saying?

Attributing the influence of such as Diarists upon composers, arrangers and
performers by such as historians, critics and cultural archivists et al who
can't, themselves, compose music, arrange music, or perform music or
understand music is the means for said historians, critics and cultural
archivists et al to make a buck.

That makes sense.

But why do many, including some of the more brilliant minds of this list,
attribute validity to such concepts where little may exist? Being
experienced with psudointellectualism, having survived the halls of academia
for sufficient time to consider this field to at least be a graduate level
minor of mine, I find myself slipping into writing words, such as those
above, that make no sense whatsoever.

Perhaps with practice, I too will eventually become a historian, critic or
cultural archivist or even an et al, thereby making more bucks than I can
possibly make gigging at the local American Legion on Friday night.

Most of the guys I know and have performed with for the last 45 years who
really compose, arrange and/or play well are simply inspired by money and/or
having a good time. I have yet to hear any of them say, "Gee fellas, I'm in
a Dadaistic mood tonight. Let's lay down Diadaistic Blues in Bb!" With this
latter, simplistic and honest assessment, I'll not make the bucks of the
historians, critics or cultural archivists, et al. - at least until I
discover, explore, practice and perfect the famous Dadaistic scale!

In jest.

Dick Broadie