[Dixielandjazz] Wolpe, Bauhaus, Hindemith, Cubism, Art?

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 28 20:03:11 PDT 2003

Good points Burt. I'm with you, appreciating the virtues of visibly emotive hot jazz. It is also interesting to note that there are many adherents of "Art Form" Dixieland these days who want to sit and listen intently to the music. To the exclusion of dancers et al who distract them, thus destroying the individual listeners appreciation.

We see this at some Jazz Society concerts where they move dancers to the back of the hall and/or otherwise discourage it. But then, what is it that the audience listens to? I think we'd get a bunch of different answers depending upon the listener.

I think jazz changed from functional (dance stomp and shout) to "art" primarily because the 20% tax on entertainment during WW2 (Uncle Sam said dancing equaled entertainment) gave the audience that much less money to spend having a good time. So club owners all over the USA removed the dance floors, put in more tables and voila, "Show Bands" and/or "Listening" jazz became the in thing.

The club owners added to the size of the paying audience in order to mitigate the decline of the average tab. And even Dixieland, which was not originally listener's music in live performance, followed suit. Remember, guys like King Oliver, Bix Beiderbecke, Sidney Bechet and Louis Armstrong played for dancers in the clubs. You couldn't dance at Condons, Ryans, Nicks or any of the NYC clubs after WW2.

Over simplification perhaps, but the tax man changed the music as I see it. I still see Dixieland as "functional" music. Stomp, shout, party with the musos, have a good old noisy good time. Some musos may see improvisation as Art, but it is the people's art as far as Dixieland is concerned, not the art of the avant garde.

I think those bands that depend on an artsy "listening" audience are doomed to less and less gigs as the old folks in the audience die off. Perhaps if the music comes back full circle to the function, and delivers with emotion, we'll all have more gigs.

Cheers,
Steve  Barbone