[Dixielandjazz] Wolpe, Bauhaus, Hindemith, Cubism, Art?

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Wed May 28 14:27:40 PDT 2003

Let us not forget that Condon's drummer, George Wettling, was a modern artist who had his work featured in a layout in Coller's magazine around 1950. In fact, I believe one of Condon's albums has Wettling's art work on the front cover.

I would like to draw a precarious point. The avante garde took to "modern" jazz just as it took to the freedom of expression of a Jackson Pollack. Hot jazz (or Dixieland) was considered passe by that time. It was, to me, a rejection of the emotional factor in OKUM for the more "thinking" virtues of modern jazz. If you remember, modern jazz fans made a lot less noise and were less vociferous in their approval. They didn't jump up and stomp their feet and shout--something I find very appealing about our music.

To my way of thinking, modern jazz was a rejection of the tight chord structures of so-called "Dixieland" music where you always knew where a progression was heading--usually "round the horn."

I do not take sides in any case although my heart is with the old hot jazz. I am for diversity first, last and always.

Burt Wilson
Silver Dollar Jazz Band