[Dixielandjazz] SacJazz Vignettes (Part One)

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 27 16:25:11 PDT 2003

Jubilee vignettes (Part One)

1) Sac Jubilee pre-festivities.
     Beneficently informed by Herr Professor Ringwald that he will be
playing with Big Mama Sue (BMS) from noon till 2 on Thursday, i dip a
trepidant toe into the downtown K-Street mall. I am delighted to find
that BMS is also accompanied by Mr. Jim Maihack on (his new) tuba and
Mr. Bob (Modesty) Williams on trombone, as the musicians start the
set.
     I park the organism in a convenient metal chair-like structure
(perhaps designed by an inscrutable Martian architect with a fondness
for leaving rows of parallel imprints on one's backside) in front of
the stage, cannily selecting a shaded area.  The other seat next to
me is vacant, but is quickly appropriated by a comely Asian lass, who
leaves after about 15 minutes; i try to assign blame to myself, but i
cannot tell if it was the lack of _demonstrated_ groveling lust on my
part, or the gratuitous and excessive _implied_ groveling lust on my
part, that drove her away.  The seat is soon claimed by another woman
whom i purposely don't look at; her and my finest moments together
obviously exist before i even glance at her.
     Certain appropriate reactions by both of us to the music being
played, however, generate a prelimiary construct of a commonality of
interests, and we speak.  Upon closer inspection, i happen to notice
that she wears a DJML badge, and i identify myself.  She turns out to
be Rebecca Thompson, a fellow Texan and OKOMer from Dallas.  Life,
already enhanced by BMS, Ringwald, Williams, et al., suddenly becomes
much finer.  Rebecca's husband joins us, and the music i hear and
love is shared and understood and communicated with people just like
me, and all is right with the world.
     We listen to the music, exchanging comments occasionally about it
and related matters, and the afternoon progresses.  So does the
shade, but in direct disproportion (i.e., i am now without the
penumbra).  All at once, Rae Ann Berry appears, and we exchange
greetings.  The ideal of a family is like that of friendly and
nourishing soil, in which beings may grow and help each other and
flourish.  So can be the interaction of fans of an art-form (like
OKOM), where single silent knowledges find friendly echoes and
unsuspected channels of reverberation.  Pretty fancy talk.  Hey, we
just talked about jazz, and agreed to meet for dinner.

2) Eatin' and Jammin' with the DJML.
     Thursday afternoon about 5 pm some of us coagulate at the Fresh
Choice restaurant in the Arden Fair mall, across from the fairgrounds
of the Cal Expo Jubilee site.  Ms. Rebecca Thompson and her husband
Jim accompany me in my rented Toyota to drive out there, but we stop
first (with some minor annoying detours) at 'Beverages and More' to
pick up some (well, OK, about 5) six-packs of beer, a styrofoam
ice-chest, and some ice.  Then we find Dave Bilgray at the Fresh
Choice (a kind of veggie cafeteria), and all of a sudden Meg Graf and
Vickie Cox appear, already there.  We confer, eat, talk, and are then
also joined by Mr. Will Connolly, and then Ms. Nancy Giffin.  We
break bread (well, OK, sprouts, and it wasn't easy, 'cause they're
real flexible) together, and agree to convene over at the Cal Expo
parking lot to search for the wily jam-session.
     After meeting in the parking lot of Cal Expo about 7 pm, we
determine that a) the beer is un-cold and must be colded (so we
combine ice-chest, ice, and beer-bottles in an agreeable topology);
and b) the putative site of the jam-session is at least half a mile
from where we parked, so it is too far for Will to walk, so
unfortunately he departs.  Rebecca, Jim, Dave, and i lie our way past
the security checkpoint (well, hell, it was actually true at that
point: we were not intending to bring the all-too-obvious beers into
the Jubilee site, but over to the RV site, to meet with friends for a
jam session).  But after at least half a mile (the "drunkard's walk"
meandering, although we had not yet had any beer), we couldn't find
Meg and Vickie or any jam session (except one to which we were quite
specifically not invited, thank you so much).  We learn that Jan
Nichols' RV has blown a head gasket in Fresno and won't be here to
host the jam session (now there's a possible name for a tune: "The
Fresno Gasket Blues").
     We finally meet about 8 pm with Meg (playing a wonderful bass
sax) and Vickie (playing nice leads and solos on trumpet) on a grassy
knoll next to the parking lot, and they played, latterly with help by
Jim Thompson on his new ax, washboard. They were joined by other
players on guitar and clarinet, and once again i cursed my decision
not to try to bring a tuba with me (but i have no case for any of my
seven tuba-like instruments, and i didn't feel like trusting them
naked to the not-so-tender mercies of the airine industries).  There
we did listen to many fine OKOM tunes, and we finally did consume
some of the many beers we had purchased, and finally quit, tired but
happy, around 10 pm.  Communications from other participants have not
yet been received, but this correspondent (with the Thompsons)
regrettably did get lost and did fulsomely thrash around the road to
Reno for about half an hour before being able to correct our route
and come back to downtown Sacramento.

3) DJML F2F/BMP.
     We crowd into the 4th-floor lounge of the Delta King Paddlewheel
boat in Old Sacramento, at 10:00 am on Friday morning.
Unfortunately, the elevator (as it did last year and undoubtedly in
every previous year since it was installed) only goes to the 3rd
floor, so we gladly help Meg up to the 4th floor.  Even before 10 it
is populated with our brethren and sistern (uh, somehow that doesn't
quite sound right), and the limits of imagined congruence between
email-names and in-person faces (aided by name-tags) are severely
tested.  We circulate, flitting from one 'delectable mountain' (in e
e cummings' delectable phrase) of a person to another.
     Bloody (and Virgin) Marys are consumed, and after a while our
crew is blessed by the arrival of Mr. Tito Martino from Brazil, and
it is good to meet and talk with him.  He appears already to be
having a good time, and it will get better.  Finally we disperse, to
our own separate destinations (the parade, first set, etc.).

4) People.  The great mass (and i do mean 'mass', as experienced by
Earthlings in 'weight') of the tides of people churning through the
floodgates to Old Sacramento is impressive, and depressive, in its
variety.  There are all kinds, shapes, colors, and speeds of walking,
with those in no particular hurry inevitably in front of those who
see no reason to dawdle (me).  We surge (but peristaltically slowly)
through the entrance next to Freeway Gardens and debouch (always kind
of wanted to use that word) into the froth of Old Sacramento's
crowds, moving in classic (but definedly unpredictable) Brownian
motion.  One sees kids, patient (incredibly so) parents, girls and
boyfriends, ethnicities only marginally glimpsed in a geographic
catechism, bodies too short for their weight (almost everyone), in a
garish paroxysm of everyday folks i would never in my life suspect of
harboring a fondness for music older than their grandparents.  This
is wonderful, if true.  One hopes, for OKOM's sake and life, that it
is.

     Part Two, the bands, will follow later.

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu  **
**     "He has occasional flashes of silence that make his            **