[Dixielandjazz] Whiffenpoofs Revisited.

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Tue May 20 15:02:00 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/19/2003 5:52:15 AM Central Standard Time,
KenASlater at aol.com writes:

> Some time ago I posted a message asking for some info about the words and
> place names mentioned in the Whiffenpoof Song. The answers came back
> immediately - many thanks -and I now know far more than I did.
>
> At the time I had a Louis Armstrong 78 of this piece and now that I've
> cleaned it up and listened to it I've found that the words aren't the usual
>
> ones. It's a light-hearted (I think) dig at the bop fraternity which starts
>
> with something like:
>
> 'From the tables up at Birdland to the place where Dizzy dwells
> In the beards and funny hats they love so well
> All the boppers are assembled  and when they're really high
> They constitute a weird personnel'.
>
> The Louis Armstrong discography gives it a recording date of 19 March 1954.
>
> Were any of you older guys around then? Does anyone know if Louis himself
> wrote the words, and incidentally how Diz and the rest felt about it?

  This is a good question . who wrote the words' to Louis Armstrong's sendoff
on the 'whiffenpoof Song."  It is very funny and I'm sure that Dizzy loved it
as he had a great sense of humor and he and Louis were friends.  The better
recording of it, I believe, is on the Louis Live at the Crescendo...now part
of the California Concerts CD collection.  Louis and the All Stars play it
simply and beautifully followed by Louis's charming vocal.

I don't believe that Louis wrote the words but you can be sure that he added
his own variations.

Jim Beebe