[Dixielandjazz] Comics & Jazz

Bill Horton horton4jaz at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 12:58:48 PDT 2003

Dick Broadie beat me to it by mentioning Bil Keane as a comic strip artist
who inserts some jazz in his work now and then.  I'll add Johnny Hart,
author of "B.C.", to the list.  He doesn't have a strip, but K. O. Eckland
is an accomplished comic artist (as well as musician, author, researcher,
editor, composer, etc., etc., etc.)

On the cover of my first edition of the little magazine "OffBeat" (following
K.O., if you can believe!) I tried my hand at cartooning.  I had a trumpet
player on stage with fake rabbit ears, bunny slippers, and a cotton tail.  A
guy in the audience was saying, "I knew Bunny Berrigan, and he's NOT Bunny
Berrigan!"  A Democrat politician had just made the statement about his
Republican opponent, "I knew Jack Kennedy, and you're no Jack Kennedy", so
it was funny at the time.  Well, *I* thought it was funny.

Bill Horton