[Dixielandjazz] aussie jazz news.

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Thu May 15 03:34:42 PDT 2003

It's nice to know that Aussie bands are appreciated & missed, or even known outside our shores.  Since Simon Stribling moved to Vancouver and we suffered the tragic loss of Tom Baker who was a mentor and inspiration for Fireworks, the band seems to have lost its way and rarely gets together.  The banjo player, John Withers has married Frank Johnson's widow, Brenda and moved to Queensland only this week.  The Fireworks Band will get together again for a couple of festivals in Aug. & Sept. & we look forward to a visit from Simon later in the year.
The Society Syncopators are touring Europe at the moment.  Their latest CD ("Now You're Talking My Language") has 13 tracks on the list of tunes, but there is a 14th not mentioned, that starts with a minute's silence, then all hell breaks loose with something that won't endear them to Bin Laden.  A nice surprise for the unaware.
Ross Anderson's New Melbourne Jazz Band's new CD, released just a week or so ago is just wonderful with a whole new front line, but most impressive.  Beatifully recorded.  Great arrangements and terrific musicianship.  Check Ross's website  http://home.iprimus.com.au/rossjazz/
Best regards to listmates from downunder.
Sam Meerkin.  smeerkin at melbpc.org.au