[Dixielandjazz] trombones

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Sat May 10 20:22:22 PDT 2003

Hi everyone,

This question is directed to the trombone players.  It's time for me to buy
a new horn, but because I've, literally, played the same King student model
for 25 years, I've really got no idea what to look for.  I'm curious as to
what trombone models  you've played professionally and why.  When I first
started thinking about a new horn a couple of years back, I was looking at
the King 2B and 3B models.  At $1500 though, I'm wondering if they sell them
more because of the hype of the so-called "jazz trombone" and if they're
really worth it.  I'm looking for a straight tenor trombone with no F
attachment, and one that I can, hopefully, produce a fuller tone on.  I
haven't been happy with my tone lately, and part of that is my horn which is
falling apart (getting air loss).  I'm not a very loud player to begin with
and I'm looking for a horn that may help add some bite and volume as well.
Curious also about bore size; I play a very small bore horn now.  Does bore
size automatically impact the fullness of tone??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

All the best,

Rob McCallum
www.solarjazz.com