[Dixielandjazz] Dorsey, Teagarden and "hanging around"

Chris Tyle tyleman at toast.net
Fri May 9 15:36:29 PDT 2003

Regarding Dorsey, according to John Chilton's "Who's Who of Jazz: Storyville
to Swing Street," Tommy recorded and played with the following:
Gene Goldkette
Paul Whiteman
Vincent Lopez
Roger Wolfe Kahn
Victor Young
Nat Shilkret
Rubinoff
Rudy Valle
Walt Rosner
Fred Rich

Not listed in the above reference are bands and performers I know he
recorded with:

Bing Crosby
Rube Bloom
Rhythmakers
Annette Hanshaw
Ben Selvin
California Ramblers
Sam Lanin
Eddie Lang
Joe Venuti
Hoagy Carmichael
Mildred Bailey
Boswell Sisters
Bix (Beiderbecke) and his Rhythm Jugglers

Regarding Teagarden, I agree with Jim Beebe that Teagarden didn't "hang
around the recording studios" to get work. Far from it. Arriving in NY in
late January 1928, he played with the Scranton Sirens (at the Roseland
Ballroom, where Fletcher Henderson held forth), then Tommy Gott. In May he
subbed for Miff Mole (considered to be one of the top white jazz trombonists
around at that time) with Roger Wolfe Kahn, and by June 1928 he joined Ben
Pollack's band. During his tenure in NY he  participated in recording
sessions with Fats Waller, Eddie Condon, Red Nichols, Hoagy Carmichael,
et.al. His freelance work continued until he joined Whiteman in 1933.

Guys who were great jazz players and great readers worked like crazy in NYC
in the late 20s and 30s, unless they let their extracurricular activities
affect their job performance. Not only in the recording studios, but also on
radio.

Cheers,
Chris Tyle