[Dixielandjazz] Vic Dickenson

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Fri May 9 14:31:22 PDT 2003

Burt;

I first heard Cutty Cutshall when he was half of the trombone section in the
1940's Benny Goodman organization. The other half, who also played later
with Eddie Condon, was Lou McGarity.

Cutty's heard to advantage in the Benny Goodman Sextet's recording of "Blues
In The Night" recorded on December 24, 1941.

There are other recordings made on this date which feature Lou McGarity. Lou
was generally used as the soloist. Listen to him on "The Way You Look
Tonight" by the Sextet. The Cutshall-McGarity team, though, was outstanding
sounding more like one horn than two.

Stan