[Dixielandjazz] Vic Dickenson

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Fri May 9 00:11:17 PDT 2003

    Well--exCUSE me!  I had no intention of desecrating a shrine!  I had not
listened to all those recordings, had never played with Vic before (nor
since), so that I--ignorant one--was forced to listen to what I actually
heard on the day I played with him.  On that day, whatever way, for whatever
cause I've no idea and no curiousity--on that day, standing on my right hand
side where I could not mistake nor can I disremember what I heard: the guy
sounded like a garden hose with a semi-attached mouthpiece.

    I am willing to take all you guys' word for it: Vic Dickenson is/was the
greatest trombone player who ever lived (I'll even forget Jack); but ON THAT
PARTICULAR FUkkIN DAY he sounded like a guy with a garden hose and a
mouthpiece.  You guys weren't there.  I was.

so shut my mouf'
Charlie