[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Book Club

fred spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Wed May 7 01:43:35 PDT 2003

Dear Jim et al,
This was an English monthly subscription, reprints service of the
Readers Union Ltd., which ran from 1956 to 1967  Choices were made by "a
distinguished panel of selectors". The 66 volumes published, and several
"Extras", covered almost all the good jazz writing of the time. These
inexpensive but sturdy volumes often appear for moderate prices in used
book shops and catalogues. More details, and a full list of the books
published, is in "The Guinness Jazz Companion" by Peter Clayton and
Peter Gammond. Terkel's "Giants of Jazz" was first published by Thomas
Y. Crowell in 1957 and has recently been reprinted. The somewhat
unjustified comment of "For younger readers" follows its listing in
Donald Kennington and Danny L. Read's book, "The Literature of Jazz"
(1980)..
I have adapted these comments from a series of book reviews I wrote,
which appeared in "Tailgate Ramblings", the monthly publication of the
Potomac River Jazz Club. I am considering putting these together with
others I have compiled in a book entitled "Jazz Reference Books. A
Selected Check List". I would be interested in knowing  whether any DJML
members consider this a worthwhile project. Regards
Fred