[Dixielandjazz] Danny Alvin

Jim Denham james at jiming.demon.co.uk
Sun May 4 03:06:30 PDT 2003

Thanks for that information, Chris.

I am familiar with Danny Alvin's excellent Two-beat drumming with Max
Kaminsky, Sidney Bechet, Art Hodes, Wild Bill, etc.

I also know that he was something of a "character", and a favourite at
Nick's in the 1940's. I seem to remember a story to the effect that he
was the Best Man at Pee Wee Russell's wedding to Mary and tried to
'touch' her for a loan after the ceremony.

I have an LP (remember them?) of "Danny Alvin and his Kings of Dixieland
play at Club Basin Street".

As you can imagine, it's a very competent, fairly commercial latter-day
"dixieland" band, complete with banjo and less than inspiring vocals.

The tunes are:
South Rampart Street
Just A Closer Walk
Dippermouth
Bill Bailey
All Of Me
Sheik
Riverside Blues
I Used To Love You
Sunny Side
After You've Gone
Basin Street

Does anyone know the personnel and/or the date of this?

Yours,

Jim Denham

In message <003e01c3119c$303ed3a0$7478f842 at default>, Chris Tyle
<tyleman at toast.net> writes

--
Jim Denham