[Dixielandjazz] Great Tuba Recordings

Mike Marois MikeMarois at HireLiveMusicians.com
Sat May 3 18:43:10 PDT 2003

Might I offer up:

Rich Matteson with the Dukes of Dixieland Louis and the Dukes
Rich Matteson with Bob Scobey's Frisco Band Rompin' & Stompin' / Something's
Always Happening on the River.
Rich Matteson with Riverboat Five
Harvey Phillips Bobby Hackett / Hello Louis
Dave Gannett with Rosie O'Grady's GTJB Portrait of a Jazz Band / Direct
Dixie / Consider the Possiblities
Dave Gannett with The Black Dogs all recordings

Mike Marois
tuba/computer guru
http://www.TheDukesofDixieland.com
http://www.HireLiveMusic.com
http://www.MaroisApps.com

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com]On Behalf Of dhs at ev1.net
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2003 3:47 PM
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Great Tuba Recordings

Dear Listers:

While I have no quarrel with Dave Richoux's tuba selections (how does one
argue against the likes of Pat Sheridan and Sam Pilafian?), lovers of good
brass bass might try some of the following:

For vintage bass lines, try Clinton Walker with King Oliver and his
Orchestra 1929-31.  Walker doesn't solo, but plays wonderfully crisp bass
lines that make great foundations for the solos by Oliver, Red Allen and
Jimmy Archey.   Of the guys from the Twenties and early Thirties, the three
I have learned the most from have been Walker and Cyrus St. Clair on tuba
and Adrian Rollini on bass sax.

For more modern efforts, listen to Dave Gannett's Tubas From Hell, whimsical
stuff with some great tuba playing.
Also take in My Very Good Friend by Marty Erickson with pianist John
Sheridan.  It's very relaxed, very musical.  For ferocious tuba and banjo
technique, try Unnatural Ax, starring Gil Corella on tuba and Steve
DiBonaventura on banjo.  It's not very relaxed, but those guys sure can
play!

Enjoy, enjoy!!
Dave Stoddard
tuba and valve trombone