[Dixielandjazz] Sir thomas Beecham and volume

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Fri May 2 13:21:10 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/2/2003 10:58:16 AM Central Standard Time,
ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu writes:

> Meg and others--
>   Not to be flippant, but sometimes the best approach is just to say it:
>      "Jim, you're too loud.  How about half that volume?"
> But it (in my opinion) ought to come from the leader.
>
>   Dan
>
> P. S. In the Wurst Band (which starts its 25th year at Scholz's Bier Garten
> next week), excessive volume is not a problem, nor is telling people a
> problem. "HEY, TROMBONES, DAMMIT, BACK OFF!!! YOU'RE PLAYING TOO LOUD!!"
> However, in 24 years, i don't recall anyone ever complaining about the
> volume.  You gotta know the room.

   Sir Thomas Beecham was one of this world's great classical conductors.
His family had a fortune from Beecham Pills.  Sir Thomas wanted an orchestra
to conduct and so he formed one and paid for it himself.  Perhaps our UK
listers can tell us which orchestra it was...The London Philharmonic?

  Sir Thomas was an impeccable musician who also had a great wit and sense of
humor.  He was beloved by classical musicians..

Sir Thomas Beecham often came to the USA to guest conduct and on one occasion
he was here to guest conduct the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.  At the first
rehearsal he walked in, stepped up to the podium and started into the first
selection.  He soon stopped the orchestra and barked rather sternly, " The
second trombone is too loud!"  He started into the piece again but soon
stopped..." The second trombone is still too loud!"  He started the piece
again and again stopped.  At this the first trombonist shot up his hand and
said, " Sir Thomas, the second trombone is not here yet."  Without missing a
beat Beecham said, " Well, when he comes in, will you tell him that he is too
loud."

JIm Beebe