[Dixielandjazz] Volume

Meg Graf meggraf at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 10:45:56 PDT 2003

Hello, listmates:

I am hoping some of you will offer your perspective on addressing volume
control without
hurting feelings or having a player feel singled out.

When you are playing with a group, and one musician is playing much more
loudly that
everyone else, and you know that person has suffered profound hearing loss,
how do
you address the situation?  Likewise, when one player consistently plays two
volumes,
loud and louder, because he is so "into" the music, or in his own little
world, or whatever,
how do you address balance in a positive way?

As I seek more opportunities to play, I am ever more frequently playing with
musicians whom
I don't know very well, and the last thing I want is to alienate those
persons who are kind
enough to let me sit in when I am needed.  On the other hand, when  the
manager of a club approaches
me and complains that a certain player is too loud, I want to address the
situation, for I want the
audience to be pleased with the music, and I want the musicians [including
me, I hope!] to be invited back.

Your thoughts, experiences, advice, please?

Thanks in advance, and best regards,

Meg and Big George