[Dixielandjazz] The Big Day Is Here!!

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 2 11:22:06 PDT 2003

>From: "Stoddard, David" <dave.stoddard at Wayne.com>
>Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:59:39 -0500
>
>How are you celebrating?
>
>Today is  International Tuba Day!!
**----------------------------------------------------------------------**
DJML and others--
    What!?  It's not a national holiday?  Thank God Mr. Stoddard had the wit to apprise me of this intelligence.
    Are radio stations filling their hours with music featuring Joe Tarto and others?  Is Bill Bell's life being publicized and honored?  Are they having a parade for Roger Bobo and Howard Johnson?
    I guess i need to do something special to commemorate this hallowed day, but other than hoisting an extra brew at happy hour, i'm at a bit of a loss how to do it.  I had not the wit (even the half-wit) to remember to load up a CD with dixieland tuba-solos aforehand so i could serenade my office colleagues with the gentle strains of the most beautiful voice in the heavenly choir, and generally the internet is not rife with sites of mp3's of tuba-music to download, so i'm (in a word) hosed.  However, i shall think good thoughts about tubas and their operators all day (and into the night).  Let's all do our part, eh?

    Dan