[Dixielandjazz] 'Sittin' on the Valley Forge

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Mon Mar 31 17:33:00 PST 2003

'Sittin' in on the U.S.S. Valley Forge

By Jim Beebe

Aircraft carriers have very much been in the news in recent times.  It seems
that every night there is something on various news shows about our Aircraft
carriers that are serving in the Gulf.  Sorties against Iraq are taking off
day and night.  All of this brought back to me a trifling and amusing
incident that took place many years ago.

In 1952 the Korean War was in full swing, though a recent Truce had been
signed.  Everyone involved fully expected hostilities to break out again and
so even dubious warriors such as myself found ourselves in one of the U.S.
military services.  My luck of the draw was the U.S. Marines. In truth I was
dropping out of Beloit College and so I went down and signed up, rather than
be drafted.
My mother thought the Marines were a hot deal and I guess I thought that I
could save some face with this maneuver.  Perhaps, though, I had in the back
of my mind, the first recording that I acquired as a child.  It was a 78
recording of the U.S. Marine Band playing Reeves 22nd. Connecticut Regiment
March.  I still have that recording somewhere and it still sounds great.
This is still one of my favorite marches and Ron Hockett, who played in the
Marine Band for 25 years, told me a few years back that this classic march is
still very popular on the East Coast and almost has a hit tune status there.

After a harrowing trip through boot camp in San Deigo and a weird audition
for the Band ( the Drill Instructors hated the band) I was sent to the Dept.
of Pacific Marine Corps Band, that was stationed at Treasure Island, a Navy
base off of San Francisco.  I was stationed here for a year before going
overseas to the Far East and this year was a remarkable one for me.  The
Marine Corps band was a good one and I was getting lots of playing in on all
kinds of music.  Almost every worthwhile jazz group or artist in the country
came through Frisco in that year and I caught most of them.  Frisco was
loaded with service men returning from Korea and Japan through Treasure
Island and the Presidio.  The Jazz Clubs such as the Hangover and the
Blackhawk were not fussy about checking IDs…many of the service men including
myself were underage.

One day, out of the blue, I got a call from a high school buddy of mine,
Harley Rooker.  Rooker was a fine drummer and he and I were in the high
school band together along with the dance band and my Dixie combo.   I knew
that Rooker had gone in the Navy but I didn't know where he was.  He now
informed me that he was a musician on the aircraft carrier, the U.S.S. Valley
Forge.  Large ships like carriers usually had a small band compliment of 19
musicians or so.  They also had other duties
and usually served in damage control.

My old friend, Rooker, told me that the Valley Forge had just returned from
duty off of Korea and would be in port for a few weeks.  We talked and agreed
to meet later in the city.  We met in a Jazz Club in Frisco and went out on
the town.  Later Rooker suggested that I stay aboard ship with him that
night.  I resisted but I didn't have to be in the next morning and he assured
me that it would be alright.  The next thing I knew we were aboard this
gigantic floating city.  Talk about 'shock and awe.'  You can view pictures
and movies of these ships but you will never appreciate how awesome they
truly are until you are actually in one.  Rooker got me a bunk and said that
he would show me around in the morning.

All of a sudden…it's morning… very early in the morning and there is a
tremendous hubbub with everyone getting up and dressed.  Rooker came and
shook me awake and said, " Come on and get dressed, the Band is going to play
a Colors ceremony on the Hangar deck and we want you to join us." I said, " I
can't do that." At that point the Petty Officer in charge of the Band came
and said, " Come on, we'll get you a trombone, we want you to join us and
then we'll have breakfast."  I managed to get dressed in the ongoing
pandemonium and I found myself with a King 2B trombone, heading for the
Hangar Deck.

The Hangar deck is where the planes are stored and refueled.  This day they
were pushed aside and there are 3000 sailors lined up in formation.  Right in
the middle is a Marine Company with a nasty looking Captain standing out in
front of them.  I am starting to feel uneasy as here I am in my Marine
uniform with this Navy band.  The Marines are part of the Navy but there is
no crossover except for outfits such as the medical corps.  I originally
intended to go into the medical corps but I didn't know until I got in the
Marines that they use Navy medical corps and you can't get into this from the
Marine end.

All of a sudden I froze in my tracks.   There are huge signs hanging all over
the Hangar deck that say, in large red letters, "Absolutely no heel clips, by
penalty of Court Martial."  Of course…the Hangar deck is highly flammable and
a heel clip could kick off a spark on the metallic deck.  I've got heel clips
on, as per Marine Corps orders.  The Band is at one end and is going to walk
in formation to their position on the other end.  I am now in a state of high
panic as I realize that the band is not going to play while marching to the
other end.  This would have disguised my situation.  I don't know what in
hell to do and the band takes off…here we go…click click click.  The band is
not playing and you can hear 'click, click, click' this all over  this Hangar
deck.  Every eye in the formation is now on me…thinking collectively, "What
the f…is this Marine doing in the ships band and with heel clips." I try to
stoic it out as we approach the Marine Company and the Darth Vader captain.
He gives me a look that makes me instantly aware that he is going to lock me
up in the Brig as soon as this ceremony is over.  (I had to take a prisoner
to the brig once at Camp Pendleton and that was not a pleasant experience)

I played as best I could under the circumstances and finally the Colors
Ceremony was over. I grabbed Rooker and the band officer and said, " That
captain is coming to lock my ass up, you guys talked me into this and now you
must get me off of this ship ASAP.  They did and I was able sneak in a brief
tour of the ship.  Sparks were flying as I made my way from the Valley Forge.

The U.S.S. Valley Forge was retired some years ago after many years of
service.  There is a USS Valley Forge on line now but it is not a carrier.

My friend, Harley Rooker, went into radio work and became a well known and
popular radio announcer in Iowa.