[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Musician Injuries

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Sat Mar 29 14:35:14 PST 2003

Bob, yes, it is an interesting post and I'll throw in my own experience for
the record.

Without going into too much detail, I had played trombone for 25 years and
was in my fourth year at a show in Branson, Missouri when I experienced a
gradual but severe loss of chops. Over an eight-month period, I experienced
less and less flexibility and endurance. Eventually, the stiffness in my
embouchure was so that I could not play any more. I saw five doctors who
couldn't figure out what was happening. Then, I drove to the Rehabilitation
Institute in Chicago and saw a doctor who deals only with musicians and
their medical problems. She told me it was "focal dystonia" and there is no
cure.

That was seven years ago.  I was making $900 a week in Branson when this
occurred. Workmen's Comp paid me what was equal to 11 weeks pay and that was
it. No more music career. I dusted off my banjo and made the best of a bad
situation. I miss playing trombone a lot but, hey, otherwise I am healthy --
and for that I am most thankful.

And before anyone writes with a, "hey, my buddy had that and he fixed it
by..." story, no, he didn't have this.

Dave
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
"It's a treat to beat your feet"