[Dixielandjazz] Fake Books

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 23 21:44:51 PST 2003

Don Hale <Kmstrmldr at aol.com> wrote:

>    In a message dated 3/22/03 07:12:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:
>
> > . Who has a CD burner out there? It is called THE FAKE BOOK CD and
> it
> > contains:
>
> It might be much more fair, if he sells them, to contact Al Levy and
> buy the
> CDs from him.

Actually, the CD I possess and Al Levy's are very different. I posted
what the CD in my possession has, but here it is again:

The Bill Evans Fake Book
The Jazz Fake Book
Real Book Vol 1
Real Book Vol 2
Real Book Vol 3
Library of Musicians Jazz
Colorado Cookbook
Jazz Ltd.
New Real Book Vol I
New Real Book Vol II
New Real Book Vol III
The Book - Commercial

Some scores are hand written. Some are Repros of actual sheet music,
some are simple lead lines and chords. All seem to be quite legible and
readily printable. You need Acrobat Reader 4.0 to read and print them
and this software can be downloaded free according to the CD menu.

Like I say, I don't know where you can get them, but they are a
wonderful resource if you are doing a broad variety of musical work.
Altogether about 6000 songs with some duplication between books.

By the same token, since Al may have a similar CD readily available, it
would certainly be advantageous to buy one from him.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone