[Dixielandjazz] Re: Fake Books

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Sun Mar 23 11:48:31 PST 2003

I bought my first fake book when playing a nightclub in 1949 (underage, of
course).  The guy who approached me (Hey, kid, Wanna buy a fakebook?) was
selling them out of the trunk of his car parked outside.  Five hundred tunes
copied from the old TuneDex subscription 3 x 5 cards.  Fifty dollars cash.

When practicing I'd start at the front of the book and play each tune.
After Zigeuner I'd start at the front again.  I knew more tunes than anyone
my age.

In case the Copyright Kops are monitoring this, the transaction is well
beyond the statute of limitations, and the physical evidence was destroyed
after committing the tunes to memory.

Charlie Hull