[Dixielandjazz] Re: Fake Books

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 22 21:45:54 PST 2003

Bill Haesler wrote: (polite snip)

> And also, perhaps, the authors of the original 'fake' books who have had their
> lifetime effort ripped off.

Dear Bill & List mates:

Yes, perhaps, but then didn't those "fake book" authors rip off the original
authors too? The music on the CD is transcribed from various sources. e.g. Some
from original sheet music, some from painstaking transcription from records, like
Dizzy & Bird's record of A Night in Tunisia.

The best is one version Basin Street Blues, with thoroughly modern chords to the
verse. Marvelous changes if one is of that "modern" persuasion. Not sure who did
that.

Can't find the source of the CD anywhere.

As an aside to Tom Wood. Our guitarist carries about 4000 tunes in his head. We
often play "Stump The Band" at our private party gigs. He was only stumped once
when a beautiful lady in her 50s came up, looked him straight in the eye, smiled
and asked softly, "Can You Play Six Inches In Virgina?"

He was speechless, the only time I've ever seen that. Probably only because this
was a party for the rich and anonymous and it seemed so out of context. Broke me
up, because I knew the lady and she might just have been serious.

Cheers,
Steve