[Dixielandjazz] SOUND THERAPY

Tom Wood zenith at ans.com.au
Fri Mar 21 14:15:51 PST 2003

Hi All,

Just following up on Jim Beebe and Elazar Brandt music comments "there is great healing power in music" and "I have no argument with you about the healing power of music."

This triggered another thought and experience on "sound therapy" which may be of interest to some listmates.  About 15 years ago (before we started producing our CDs) we had 7 cassettes out and gave permission for our Zenith music to be used overseas by Dr. Jim Diamond, an American (now living in London I believe).  Dr. Jim Diamond is a music therapist who uses (or maybe its past tense now) our music to treat patients and relieve insanity 8>) a smiley, but don't laugh, its not a joke.  This seemed to shock our group into taking ourselves a bit more seriously.  This is yet another interesting aside for chapter nine of the Sydney-Zenith book of tales I am currently writing.

When speaking to Bob Barnard (trumpet - Sydney) at our home in the bar with Stan Greig (British drummer and pianist) who was staying with us at the time, he mentioned Jim Diamond had also asked him to provide some therapy music as well.  Bob told us that he was paid handsomely for his short therapy lesson.   We slipped up there on the royalties and received NO PAYMENT. (Not usual for people of Scottish origin).

Tom (Sydney-Zenith film rights pending) Wood