[Dixielandjazz] Marie not Dixieland & Unions

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 17:48:12 PST 2003

Burt Wilson wrote: (polite snip)

> I think the Musicians Union is the one large union that isn't controlled by
> the mafia--because there's no money in it.

Yeah, I think the Mafia was busy controlling and / or "protecting" all of the
jazz joints after prohibition was repealed in the USA. The was a lot of money
in those clubs till the mid 1950s or so, and lots more going on than just jazz
in quite a few of the NYC joints. I met some of the nicest working girls,
bookies, liquor salesmen and pot heads during those years . . . but that's
another story, best left untold.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone