[Dixielandjazz] Marie not Dixieland & Unions

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 13:41:19 PST 2003

I think the Musicians Union is the one large union that isn't controlled by
the mafia--because there's no money in it. I had my first union experience
with the American Can Co., in Sacramento, in 1949 when I went to work there
as a slitter operator. We had to join the union. A guy came around two weeks
later and told me: "Here's your union card, kid, stay away from the
meetings."

It wasn't until many years later that I realized that all of us who were
summer help could have taken over the union if we got together and went to
the meetings. Of course, I would have died soon after!

Burt Wilson
Silver Dollar Jazz Band