[Dixielandjazz] Re: Lyrics--Dorsey's Marie

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 13 08:54:43 PST 2003

Dear Dale,
Oh my, here we go again!
Just kidding.    8>)
Why isn't the song "Marie" (Irving Berlin.1928) OKOM?
It is not the tune, just a matter of interpretation.
Our band used to play it, but it has been buried (but not forgotten) for a
while.
I worked out the band response lyrics once, and may have them somewhere on file.
Do as I did. Listen and transcribe them from the Dorsey record. It is quite
simple.
The clue is that the band's vocal response behind Jack Leonard uses titles of
other popular songs ("Girl Of My Dreams/Have A Little Faith In Me/Pettin' In The
Park/ On A Night Like This/Livin' In A Great Big Way/etc")
And who can forget the great solos from TB, Bunny Berigan and Bud Freeman on
Tommy Dorsey's version (Jan 1937).
Kind regards,
Bill.