[Dixielandjazz] Re: Listening suggestions?

John Petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 11 10:01:37 PST 2003

Bill said
Regarding: >.....and not necessarily the really old stuff...maybe 1940 -
1990.<
SHOCK. HORROR!!!!
Why ever not?
How the hell are we going to influence the 'kids' about playing jazz (I mean
the
real stuff) if we do not take them back to the 1920s roots? They do not have
copy it. Just absorb it. Like we did in the 1940s.
The problem with jazz today is that the new (and some older) practitioners
are
listening only to their immediate peers.
Plenty of technique, but very little (if any) 'swing'.
No 8>)sssss from me this time.
I am serious.
Well said Bill.
That is exactly the problem with a lot of Brtish trad and European trad.
They do not study the roots. You do not start building a house on the roof.
You start with the foundations.
cheers
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com