[Dixielandjazz] because they love their music

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Sat Mar 8 22:15:57 PST 2003

I got in late of this discussion, which ain't unusual for me but,
welcome to the world of music.  Gene Bolen calls bands that do that
kind of stuff "Tee Shirt Bands"  In other words, they sell tee shirts
to raise the money to play their music.  Which is all BS!  In
California, and I would imagine other places too, rock musicians, and I
use that term loosely, pay to work. In LA, for instance, they rent a
well known venue, sell their own tickets and the club takes the bar.
That's a good deal!  Then they get to play their music in hopes of
being discovered.  Big deal!
In Southern California many of the jazz clubs will not come up with any
bread at all.  In fact, it is almost an insult as to the amount of
bread they offer.  My guys say no more pro bono stuff.  At $2.10 a
gallon for gas, you can't drive 200 miles to make a gig and justify it
to yourself or your wife.  I don't care how much you love to play.
I love to play, and I don't care if I play in the Symphony, which I do,
or do a show, as I am doing for the next 6 weeks, or play in a wind
ensemble, which I do every summer, or  play in a street band at the
fair, which I do each September, or I play jazz which I do at the least
monthly, and daily at the best, but I need to be paid for my services.
Just like the Lawyer, the Doctor, the Teacher, the Druggist, the Liquor
store owner, the clerk, the baker, you got the picture.  So the friend,
the independent farmer, and the leader of the group is in reality
taking bread out of all of our pockets, but you already knew that.
It's unfortunate that others don't recognize what is happening but
within a short period of time there ain't  gonna be any work for
anyone, not because the audience that we are playing for have died out
which they are, but because the idea of a professional, that is one who
is paid to do, wont be paid to do.
By the way, Jim, I'll bet there is another income in there somewhere,
later,

Randy Fendrick,