[Dixielandjazz] TIPS

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Fri Mar 7 14:52:51 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/6/03 11:53:31 PM Central Standard Time,
stridepiano at tesco.net writes:

> Tipping bands in the UK is simply not done, thank goodness. They do not have
> the begging bowl mindset which, according to recent posts on the subject,
> appears to be the normal thing with American outfits. Here in England a gig
> is offered and if the money is acceptable to the bandleader the gig is
> taken, if the money is not acceptable the gig is turned down. Apart from CD
> sales no attempt to extract further financial reward in respect of that gig
> is made, indeed the proprietor of the venue would probably be very annoyed
> if the musicians he hired solicited his customers for money. The band
> concerned would probably never work there again.

Very well put, John.  No, soliticing tips is not the norm here although that
may be changing.  We have a very degrading phenomena here now called the
street musician.  This creeps set up shop anywhere on the street in a large
city or in the train station and proceed to bleet on their sax or guitar,
openly soliciting moeny with their cases open and a 'begging' bowl in place.
Why the police let this go on is a mystery.

Most every class club that I have worked would not allow a tip jar.  I
usually like to have a 'disrete' tip jar, depending on what the club was
paying. tips divided up would often at least provide some gas money. If it
was a bit on the low side I would find ways to mention contributions.  I"ve
had some rows about this with clubs but they usually relented when I pointed
out that it was a convenience to customers who did want to leave a tip
without being obvious about it.

> England does not have a monopoly on underpaid bands, they exist all over the
> world.

True.. most cetainly a world wide situation.