[Dixielandjazz] TIPS

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Fri Mar 7 14:36:09 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/6/03 11:02:31 PM Central Standard Time,
Jazzjerry at aol.com writes:

> The implication here is that the running of the large number of jazz clubs
> in
> the UK is a professional activity on the part of the promoters and this is
> certainly not the case. a very large number of the jazz venues in the UK
> are
> clubs run by amatuers, often committees, who put on jazz events in local
> pubs
> and other venues because of their love of the music and certainly not to
> make
> any money. The musicians get paid, not always large sums of money, but
> these
> promoters generally get nothing at all and usually have to take the risk if
>
> the audience fails to materialise. I'm sure that the great majority of jazz
>
> club organisers pay the bands as much as they can manage but it all depends
>
> on the size of the venue, and some are very small, what the audience is
> prepared to pay, what can be raised through a raffle and if the pub
> landlord
> is prepared to cough up a contribution towards the band. The jazz punters
> in
> the UK expect their jazz to be cheap and will resist higher entrance prices
>
> by simply not attending.

This is just about the same situation here in the USA

> There is also the strange situation where under British licensing laws you
> are not allowed to charge admission to a public bar in a pub!

   that is weird.  What does a club like Ronnie Scotts do for money to pay
for the expensive groups they bring in?

> Norwich,
> U.K.
>
> Whilst in New York the week before last I had breakfast in the hotel and
> the
> menu stated that a gratuity of 15% would be automatically added to the
> bill.
> When I was brought the bill to sign I noticed that the 'tip' was added as
> they stated but there was also a space for me to add a further tip for the
> waiter and another for the man in a suit who showed us to our table. You've
>
> got to be joking! I just paid for the meal, the sales tax and the added
> gratuity.

   I believe that an 'automatic tip-gratuity' is fairly rare.  More often
there is a space where the customer can write in a tip if the bill is being
charged to a credit card.

   Tips for waiters and waitresses, bartenders etc. are common as it is
widely known that they are paid a bare minimum wage and depend on tips for
their income.  Many people have worked in these occupations at one time in
their life and so are sympathetic.

  *Musical content  'Pennies from Heaven'   by Bing Crosby with verse,

   Jim Beebe