[Dixielandjazz] Re: Go Back Where You Stayed Last Night

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 6 11:00:37 PST 2003

Dear Bud,
The earliest versions of "Go Back Where You Stayed Last Night" (Easton-Waters)
are:
Ethel Waters 28 July 1925
Viola Bartlette Sept 1925 (her first record).
Five Birmingham Babies 27 Oct 1925 (a band well overdue for CD reissue).
No others, up to 1942, that I know of.
I am sure that other DJMLers will help with the rest of your queries

You mentioned earlier discourse, etc.
Herewith, my contribution to that post regarding the Kid Ory version of this
song.
A Columbia session in LA. 6 July 1950. Reissued on LP and a European Columbia CD
471557 in 1994.
Vocal by Lee Sapphire & cltist Joe Darensbourg with Teddy Buckner, t; Ory;
Darensbourg; Lloyd Green, p; Morty Corb; sb; Minor Hall, d; plus Ed Shrivanek,
g.
(After Bud Scott died in July 1949, Ory only ever used guitarists on record
dates.)
There is an earlier version of the song by Ory's band (with Mutt Carey) and a
Darensbourg vcl from a 10 Feb 1946 (or 1947?) Green Room, San Francisco
broadcast, available on American Music AMCD-42.

Kind regards,
Bill.