[Dixielandjazz] Recording Low Tones

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 1 08:45:17 PST 2003

Russ:
snip: "The only Tenor I can remember was Dennis O'Day on the Arthur Godfrey
radio
show."

It was Dennis Day.  Brief bio follows:

Dennis Day
Dennis Day's smooth voice and penchant for singing Irish numbers earned him
the nickname ''America's Favorite Irish Tenor.'' Day got his start in the
late 1930s on the CBS radio program Varieties. He soon caught the attention
of Jack Benny, who hired him in 1939. Day quickly became a popular
attraction of Benny's radio show, where he played the naive teenager whose
tag line was the punctuated ''Gee, Mr. Benny!''

During WWII, Day served in the Navy and sang with a unit under the direction
of bandleader Claude Thornhill. After his discharge, he starred in his own
radio series from 1946 to 1951. When Benny made the move to the small screen
in 1950, Day followed, revising his radio role on Benny's television
program.

>From 1952 to 1954, Day hosted The RCA Victor Show. He earned his own series,
The Dennis Day Show, in 1953. It lasted one season. Day also appeared in
several films during the forties and fifties. During the late fifties,
however, he faded from the public eye. In the mid-seventies, he resurfaced,
making appearances on film and television. Dennis Day passed away from Lou
Gehrig's Disease in 1988.
Best,
Bill