[Dixielandjazz] Recording Low Tones - NPR series

Bill Biffle bbiffle at swcp.com
Sat Mar 1 05:42:05 PST 2003

As an aside to this, barbershop quartets started out recording with the
"leather lung" approach - due to the limitations for recording equipment -
and some say that our love affair with the resonance and ring that comes
from this full-voiced approach today stems from this.  It's interesting that
quartet recordings from the 40s are of light, sweet, non-resonant singing
(relatively).  Sometime in the 50s, guys began to "belt it" again.

Bill Biffle
Barbershopper and DLJ trumpet player