[Dixielandjazz] Bios

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Mon Jun 30 21:53:58 PDT 2003

John Farrell wrote:

> I for one am always interested to read how listmates first became
attracted
> to OKOM. Many, if not most of the bios submitted so far state that very
> first time the writers heard the music they were converted to it. Very few
> have said that their conversion came about by a gradual awareness of jazz.

Bob Ringwald Says:

I was the first to post my bio a couple of weeks ago.  But I forgot to
mention how I learned about OKOM.

My parents had lots of 78s of different kinds of music.  When I was about 8
ears old, I came across one of their records of the Lu Watter Yorba Buena
Jazz Band.  It had Storyville Blues on one side & That's a Plenty on the
other.  I was hooked!

A year or so later I happened to be spending some time with my uncle & aunt
in San Francisco.  There was a TV show called Clancy's Corner on KPIX
Channel 5.  It was a 15 minute show which later became 1/2 hour.

It featured Clancy Hayes with the Bob Scobey band.  It was on at 11:15 PM on
Tue nights.  I had to do allot of fancy talking each week to get them to let
me stay up late enough each Tuesday night to let me watch the show.

Of course later I discovered the Firehouse 5 Plus 2 & Eddie Condon.

Bob mr.wonderful at ringwald.com