[Dixielandjazz] The NUN Gig

Captain Rapture yup1275 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 06:24:20 PDT 2003

Gotta do my bio.

I grew up is Santa Barbara and, in High School (late 50s), had
a combo we called the Blue Notes - gee how original! I played
piano and had taught Bill Conway to play tenor guitar. I stayed
mainly in C and imitated George Shearing, later Dave Brubeck.

Add a bass and drums. Tony Capiello was one of our drummers
and he could do a one-handed roll. High school kids can do those
things. I'd get so wrapped up into the music, I'd drool on the keys.

Twice a year, we'd play a gig for Marymount School For Girls.
They'd mix it up with a similar boys private school. Once we
found out the Queen of the dance was based upon sealed bids
from the parents, we'd play Pennies From Heaven. Once, in
a search for a glass of water, I found myself in the kitchen and
embarrassed a nun with her head uncovered; she was bald!

David McCartney
Now a standup kinda guy