[Dixielandjazz] The NUN Gig

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 02:07:51 PDT 2003

List mates:

Just got back from our (Barbone Street JB) Mardi Gras party for 150
Sisters of the "Holy Name, Jesus Society" in Philadelphia. Originally
booked for an hour and a half, got 2 hours overtime. It was an
"interesting" party.

Mardi Gras theme, they did indeed bring their own Mardi Gras beads for
us to throw. Probably from same supplier we use (Accent Annex) as the
beads were identical.

150 Nuns in attendance. (The do not wear habits anymore) Mostly from
Philadelphia, but some heads of similar orders from Puerto Rico, Chile,
The US Virgin Islands, Italy where society HQ is, Ireland, Poland and
Ivory Coast. (She was in tribal dress and beautiful)

We started off with N.O. Tunes and about half of them got down and
boogied on the dance floor. One came up to sing "Do You Know What It
Means To Miss N.O. She had a GREAT voice and told us the Sisters had put
on a production of Porgy & Bess as recreation 6 months ago. So we
proceeded to do part of the book for that show and got a group of them
singing "Old Man River, Can't Help Lovin That Man etc. Marvelous.

The back to Dixieland. Then after a break the guitarist said, hey Nuns
love "The Sound of Music" so we did part of that book. Had virtually all
150 of them singing with us. "Edelweiss" & the theme from the show, etc.

Then back to Dixieland. Sweet Georgia Brown got them all hopping. Then
the event planner, Sister Pat asked us to play an hour overtime. Fixed
the price and agreed. Learning that various countries were represented,
we started an International medly. Did St. Thomas, shifted to Danny Boy,
shifted to a Polka, shifted to The Irish Washerwoman, shifted to That
Italian Tarantella that I can never remember the name of, shifted to a
Mummers Strut Medley, and finally, to a Hora which got them all in a
circle and having a ball.

Then Back to Dixieland and them dancing individually. Sister Pat came up
and asked us to play another hour overtime and we agreed on a price.
Final hour was blasting Dixieland jazz to which they danced and swung
their beads. It  ended with the Saints and all the Nuns in a conga line,
some with umbrellas, marching around the room.

Maybe it was the wine and beer that got them going, but we like to think
it was the music.

Well, it was a sight to behold. They had a great time and told us it was
the best party they ever had and that they were up way past their bed
time as they had and early rising on Monday. They all stayed till the
end and when the music stopped, the room emptied out in 10 minutes.

It was an interesting evening to say the least. More than that, you'll
have to imagine.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone