[Dixielandjazz] The Admiral, Hal Havard, etc.

Mary L. Hackett marigold at midwest.net
Sun Jun 29 16:36:22 PDT 2003

Hello, Listmates!  My first message, so forgive my ignorance of the
process...

I am looking for information on my dad, Bernie Bahr (Bernard W. Bahr), who
played trombone with Frankie Trumbauer for a time.  The St. Louis Musicians'
Union has little/no information on him or any of the St. Louis area and
rural Illinois groups he played with in the 40's and 50's.

Could anyone direct me to information on the early days of the music played
on the steamship Admiral (Hal Havard orchestra), where I understand Daddy
played during its first couple of years on the river?

How about the Jessie Lee Trio (Daddy, Jessie Lee on piano and Les Mortland
on drums) or Homer's Blue Dell in Alton?  I also remember something about
Bush's Garden, a road house maybe near Jerseyville, Illinois.

I was just a little kid at the time, but I have vague memories and am trying
to find documentation.  We have a discography on a recording with Trumbauer,
but none of the rest.                       -Thanks-!!!

Marigold