[Dixielandjazz] Fw: How to Kill Orchestras

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sat Jun 28 23:25:42 PDT 2003

There's an interesting article in the NY Times which speaks about the death
of the symphony orchestra in the US.  I believe that many of the comments
could well apply to jazz and especially the music of Duke Ellington.

You and I revel in finding some new Ellington piece or gloating about our
feelings about an obscure Ellington composition. Yet, we've got to consider
the general public and what they have to say about Ellington and about jazz.

Is it only the "popular" numbers which live in minds of the general public?

Are we bearing a torch which will dim as we too fade away?

Stan
Stan Brager