[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 6, Issue 49

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Jun 27 01:40:52 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/26/03 7:34:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
charliehooks at earthlink.net writes:

> And I agree with you that much of this comes from the feeling of
> the song, much influenced by the words of the song.  Yet I  know more than
> one good player who claims never to care about any words, even to slow
> ballads.  Go figure.

Absolutely correct Charlie, the average listener who does not know music does
remember the lyrics to the songs and sings or hums them along with the band
when they play the song they recognize and know.

The soloist should therefore know the lyrics to any song he or she plays so
that they can deliver the lyrics instrumentally in such a way as the audience
can relate to the song and be moved by it.  To do other wise is an exercise in
technique to satisfy the ego of the soloist.  At least that's how I view it.
But what the Hell do I know I'm a drummer certainly not a real Musician.  Tee
hee :)   If there ain't no melody it just goes round in circles (Billy
Preston).  The melody takes the song in the destined direction and hopefully the
whole band goes in the same direction and ends up at the same destination, with
each soloist getting the opportunity to color the tune with his own voice and
interpretation.

Tom Wiggins
St. Gabriel's Celestial Brass band