[Dixielandjazz] Re: Improvising

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 26 21:28:38 PDT 2003

I've talked to many musicians about improvising and everyone seems to have
a different method. Some visualize notes, some notes with names (Bb,Eb7,
etc.) and other hear changes and the list goes on and one. I am one who
visualizes an entier tune. I see it in my mind almost as steps on a ladder
with a different ladder for each key. Then I hear changes coming and I know
which steps are within a chord and which, when thinking ahead, I can use
outside the chord to weave a figure around the chord. "Dixieland" is
comparatively easy because we all know about 500 tunes and I have a ladder
for each one. When I practice, I try to stay away from what I would
normally play without thinking and think of a new way to do it. This is the
fun of jazz to me.

As a believer in reincarnation, I think many of us have had past lives as
musicians (Gunter obviously played the lute and doubled as court jester for
Charlemagne) and we "come in" with a pre-knowledge of music and how it
works. How else could Mozart write such great music at such an early age. I
also have a throry that many Japanese who love jazz today were American
soldiers killed in the WWII who have reincarnated into Japanese bodies
because of some karmic reason. I know I am treading on unfamiliar ground
for many of you, but this is purely for scientific discussion.

Anyway, because I see so many ladders when I play, I'll probably come back
as a fireman!

Burt Wilson
trombone
Silver Dollar Jazz Band